New to sewing? Interested in joining the after-school sewing club or interested in project classes? This is your prerequisite class. Step by step instruction is given for you to learn sewing machine operation and safety.
- Fancy stitched bookmark – Learn basic sewing machine operations, change sewing machine feet and use the stitch selector on your machine.
- Needlebook – Learn basic hand stitching and how to sew on a button.
- Tote bag – Show off your newly acquired sewing machine skills to create a tote. You will also learn basic applique techniques to add personality to your tote bag.
Fun projects are from the book Second Edition: The Best of Sewing Machine Fun for Kids by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith.
Skill Level: Beginner
Schedule: 5 Classes – 90-minute sessions. This class can also be taken in 4 days to equal the 7 1/2 hours of instruction.
Class Size: Maximum 2 students.
Class Fee: $25 per class. Fee includes the use of classroom sewing machines, use of basic sewing supplies, and instruction.
Part of the sewing process is choosing your favorite color of fabric for the final library tote bag project.
Please prewash and iron your fabric before class.
- 1/2 yard non-directional main fabric (Choose a fabric that reads solid. Students will be appliqueing a design on this piece. See photos for examples of fabric.)
- 1/2 yard coordinating non-directional lining fabric
- 48 inches of 1 inch wide coordinating cotton strapping
Every class students need to bring:
- Water bottle and healthy snack
- Closed-toe shoes.
Optional Supplies: For additional practice at home students may wish to purchase the book Second Edition: The Best of Sewing Machine Fun for Kids by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith.
*Class times were created with the idea that learning to sew should be enjoyable and not rushed. You might not finish your projects in the allotted time and that’s okay. If you don’t finish you can come back anytime during the open sew day to finish at no additional charge.
- Your class payment reserves your spot.
- No refunds are offered for classes or camps. Cancellations received two weeks before class will be able to transfer their fees to another camp or class. Cancellations received less than two weeks before class starts, or no-shows may forfeit their class fees entirely.
- If you miss a class you may be able to make up the class or come to an Open Sew day, subject to available space.
- If Celia’s Craft Room needs to cancel a class we will issue a refund in the manner in which you paid or you can transfer your payment to a future session of your choice.
- Classes are subject to change or cancellation based on low attendance.